Christ’s faithful are at liberty to make known their needs, especially their spiritual needs, and their wishes to the Pastors of the Church. They have the right, indeed at times the duty, in keeping with their knowledge, competence and position, to manifest to the sacred Pastors their views on matters which concern the good of the Church. They have the right also to make their views known to others of Christ’s faithful, but in doing so they must always respect the integrity of faith and morals, show due reverence to their Pastors, and take into account both the common good and dignity of individuals. —Code of Canon Law, 212
As mentioned in my Pope Francis post, I will always be Catholic. However, as I seek the whole truth about the state of the Church, I realized I could not get the full picture from mainstream Catholic sources alone. Mainstream Catholic media will tend to minimize any criticism of the Pope and the Bishops because, to be frank, their livelihood depends on not ruffling the feathers of their primary information sources. So I incorporate additional “rogue” sources into my research.
Below is a summary of what I have come to believe about the American Bishops and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), and why they are a bitter disappointment.
- They have failed to make any meaningful reforms to bring sexually abusing priests to justice
- They have failed to bar Catholic politicians who obstinately support abortion from Holy Communion.
- A few are now speaking up, but they waited until AFTER the election, to their shame
- For the past 45 years, the bishops’ reluctance to enforce canon 915has allowed grave scandal and contributed to the Culture of Death. We still await most American bishops to do the right thing.
- Canon 915: Those who have been excommunicated or interdicted after the imposition or declaration of the penalty and others obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to holy communion.
- They have failed to reprimand liberal Catholic priests like the Assoc. of U.S. Catholic Priests (AUSCP) and Fr. James Martin
- They have failed to call Pope Francis to account regarding the Pachamama idolatry in the Vatican, October 2019.
- They buckled under political pressure and closed churches in most dioceses during Lent & Holy Week 2020; in many cases withheld sacramental confession and even baptism and last rites for several weeks.
- Many of them push the faithful to get the abortion-tainted COVID-19 vaccines
- Mark Mallet’s Open Letter to the Catholic Bishops
- Why Churchmen Who Demand the Vaccine Are Literally ‘Tyrants.’ The Ultimate Resource | The Stream
- The Fake Theology Behind Vaccine Mandates (Janet Smith – crisismagazine.com)
- Without the Right of Conscience, There Is No Common Good (crisismagazine.com)
- They have failed to reprimand other Bishops and the Pope when they contradict church teachings established for centuries.
- Many of them promote or at least tolerate liberal, unjust organizations like Black Lives Matter and Antifa.
- The Bishops’ Misapplication Of Catholic Charity On Our Southern Border (thefederalist.com) (9/24/21)
- More than any other religious group, it is America’s Catholic bishops who lend moral support and cover to the current border situation. How? Through their promotion to open borders — a strict adherence that warps God’s call to love our neighbors, and misunderstands the criminal situation at the border. Any step the United States might take to enforce its immigration laws, the bishops oppose it — loudly and swiftly.
- “The [USCCB] collected $50 million for migration and refugee services for the year 2020, most of which came from the federal government,” Lepanto Institute President Michael Hichbor told the news site Church Militant. “During that same period,” he added,” the U.S. bishops collected a meager $777,000 for pro-life activities.”
- While we have an ordered call to charity, we don’t have a religious duty to have no nations, no laws, and no order.
- God does not call us to violate just laws for charity, understanding we cannot extend good deeds to everyone on earth… no single teaching obscures the others to the detriment of the good; justice, charity, and mercy all must be weighed. The Bishops have not paid proper heed to the harmful effects this charity without justice has had on the lives of the vulnerable.
- The results of these mistakes are painful, are deadly, and are on our border every day and night. On this, there can be no confusion; it’s time for our church to recognize it.
- 39% of 2016 Diocesan funding comes from Federal Government which makes them beholden to the Deep State. Much of this is for “migrant and refugee services”. As a result they support illegal immigration, while mostly turning a blind eye to abortion.
- They have failed to stop Catholic Relief Services and Catholic Charities from funding organizations which are blatantly anti-Catholic.
- They continue to promote the Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD) despite consistent evidence of deceptive funding schemes and grant fraud.
- Catholic Bishops’ Agency Admits to Deceptive Funding Scheme and grant fraud.